Hello friends! Happy Wednesday and the first official day of spring! Yahoo! I know up north it was a pretty chilly and snowy winter, and it was pretty chilly and cloudy overall here in Houston! I am so thankful spring is here, and that warmer weather is upon us! Just remove all the pollen, and it would be even better, but I know I can’t have it all 🙂
Since spring is here, I am doing a little series on how to clean up some areas of our homes and lives in general! I am often asked how I organize and make my own cleaning supplies, and I want to share the wealth! Today I will be sharing how I cleaned and organized my pantry!
There are many different ways to go about organizing, but these are the steps that worked for me!
How to organize your pantry
- Take everything out- I literally took everything out of my pantry so I could see what I had, and the space I had to work with. This also allowed me to measure all the shelves so I could get the proper containers for when I put things back away.
- Measure the space– Measure the shelves, width and depth, so you know what size containers would fit back in the space. If you are adding something to the door for more storage, make sure you measure your door height and depth, as well as how much space you have once the pantry door is closed. To get creative with smaller spaces, using the door can be a huge help!
- Categorize the items you have on hand, and what items you want to have in your pantry. Some categories I had were dry ingredients, spices, snacks, pastas, canned goods, baking supplies, nut butters/honey, oils, smoothie supplies.
- Shop for containers– I was inspired a lot by Neat Method in how I wanted my pantry to look. Get some inspiration from other organizing companies, or get some help from places like The Container Store (having a 25% off sale right now!), Target or Crate and Barrel! I knew I wanted clear containers and storage bins so I could see what I had. I also got labels so each container was clearly marked to help others know where things went as well. I got similar chalkboard stickers and chalk markers to help me.
- Put it all back– Once I had all my supplies, I began to put things back in my pantry. I utilized a few sets of plastic drawers I already had to help me with the lower section of the pantry. I got these jars, storage bins, can shelf, door storage (you can mix and match), pop top containers (also on sale!).
It might take a few tries to get everything in and how you like it. We have had our pantry organized like this for a little over a year, and I can say that it has pretty much stayed this way! It has helped us so much with knowing what we have for grocery runs, and we don’t waste food!
Let me know if you have any questions! If you are local, I am happy to come help you with your pantry! It def makes using the kitchen a lot easier, and more user friendly!
If you have any areas of life you want me to add to the series, just pipe up!
Living more organized brings me a sense of peace that I really appreciate!
What are you working on for your spring cleaning?