I am so thrilled it is Friday! I have been super excited about sharing this recipe with y’all all week! I have been a hug nut milk fan for as long as I can remember. Back in the day, I actually used to use rice milk. When nut milks came out and became more popular, I was super happy to switch. Let’s be real, rice milk is basically cloudy water…haha
A few years ago I finally got brave and decided to make my own nut milk! I was always under the impression that it was SUPER complicated and be a lengthy process. I am glad to say that I am wrong. Well, sort of. When I first made it, I tried to strain the milk with cheesecloth! That was a disaster! I did a little more research and found that there are much better ways to strain the milk! Introduce a nut bag! I mean, what an amazing invention! I have been using with my nut bag for my nut milks and actually many other things as well (juices, smoothies, teas, elderberry syrup and more).
I also partnered with Ellies best, and if you are in the market for an amazing nut bag, you can get 10% off a nut bag (or anything on their site) with my code: JOYFULWELLNESSGIRL. These bags have literally changed my life!
Now to the good part, making the milk! I started off making almond milk a few years ago and have experimented with different flavors over the years. Plain, vanilla, cinnamon, chocolate, pumpkin, etc. There are so many ways to use the milk, and it never lasts more than a few days in my house.
When I was in Florida this summer, I went to an amazing little restaurant they used cashew milk in several of the items we ordered. I had never really used cashew milk before, but it added an whole new level of creamy and delicious! I decided when I got home that I wanted to try and make my own! Let me tell ya, so easy, and delicious! The only little point is that it takes a little prep work with soaking the nuts.
Homemade Cashew Milk
- 1 cup organic plain cashews
- 4 cups purified water (plus some to soak)
- 4-6 organic dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Place cashews in a medium bowl and cover with water.
- Soak between 4-24 hours
- Drain and rinse the nuts
- Place nuts and 4 cups of purified water into a blender, blend well for 2 minutes
- If adding in dates, add them now and blend well for an additional minute
- Place nut bag in a large bowl, pour the nut milk mixture through the nut bag, into the bowl
- Lift the bag and squeeze the nut mixture into the bowl. This may take some elbow grease, but so worth getting every drop out
- If desired, add vanilla and or cinnamon to the mixture
- Store in an airtight glass container for up to a week
- Use for smoothies, bowls, cereal, coffee, tea, or anything you would use milk for
I hope you try to make your own cashew milk! It is so creamy and really changes the texture of other foods/drinks when you use it in place of another milk.
Stay tuned for more recipes with the cashew milk coming soon!